I am selling all my Sega Megadrive collection, all my unused Xbox One games, and all my unused N64 games. I am hoping to make about AUD$1200 from the sale. Since I don’t get a lot of opportunities for doing discretionary spending, I always end up changing my mind about what I want to do with sums of money like this.
So in this blog post, I will list the ideas I have for using this money.
It is important to plan out what I want to do as carefully as possible, because the last $250 I spent was on an old cassette deck which I attempted to repair, but made worse in the process.
- Buy a small 8KHz frequency response cassette recorder
- Buy an 8-bit microcomputer and connect it to the internet
- A ZX Spectrum would be cheapest
- A Commodore 64 is desirable
- Apple IIs are waaayyy too expensive
- A VIC-20 could work
- Buy a new 15KHz frequency response cassette deck
- Buy some CRT monitors (which are quite expensive now… they used to be worthless)
- Build my portable computer phone replacement
- Buy an analogue camcorder
- Buy a VHS cassette video editor
- Buy an old classic Macintosh, and link that to the internet
- Buy all the necessary gear to get set up to do electronics
- Build synthesisers for Simon
- Build my discrete component computer
- Build headphone amplifiers
- Make an analogue computer
- Build my command line phone
- Put more money into my VPS
- Vague idea: do something with a Raspberry Pi
- Make a Raspberry Pi Zero vlog camera
- Impossible: Do something with 8mm or 16mm film
- Buy a pancake lens cap for my micro four-thirds camera so I can vlog with it
- Do something with Laserdisks
- Buy a tape duplicator/copier
- Get a 3D printer
I suppose the themes that these projects dissolve into are:
- 70s/80s microcomputers
- Analogue video tape vlogging
- Cassette tapes
- Electronics projects
- Making videos
- Raspberry Pi projects
In other news, the three cassettes I bought from Egg Records in Newtown are fantastic. The Blues Brothers Cassette sounds great. I can’t seem to find my red earbud headphones. Maybe the dog ate them. They could be in a pair of pants I haven’t washed, though.
Cool Blues Brothers song quote: “Honey, I know I gave up cigarettes as my New Year’s Resolution, but I didn’t give up SMOKIN’ “.
This blog post hasn’t helped at all!! I have no idea what to do with the money.
If I can find a small enough analogue vlog camera, I could consider that option.
I think what I will definitely do is:
- Get a small tape recorder
- Find some way to replace my phone using open hardware
That’s all I can think of.